Here is my version of Stuffed Peppers! It’s pretty simple and you can prepare the meat mixture the night before if pressed for time.
- 4-6 Peppers – I usually mix them up to add color…one green, one red, one yellow or orange
- 1 package of ground beef or turkey
- 1 bag of brown rice (I usually use the steam fresh bags)
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- Few shakes of garlic powder
- One shake of onion powder
- Few shakes of Italian Seasoning
- 1 small can of black sliced olives
- Grated cheese ( I prefer pecorino/romano blend) but whatever you like is fine
- salt and pepper to taste
Brown your turkey meat in a skillet and let cool. Place your frozen brown rice in micro and cook according to your package directions and let cool. Meanwhile, cut off tops of peppers and rinse removing seeds. You can also cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Preheat oven to 350. Put olive oil in your baking dish and roll the peppers around in the oil. I look at this part as getting them ready for a suntan…lol
Next, when meat and rice are cooled down place in a bowl and add your garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, grated cheese, sliced olives, salt and pepper and a can of the tomato sauce and mix. Spoon mixture into peppers. There will be extra of the meat mixture so I just put it in pan surrounding the peppers. I pour the 2nd. can of tomato sauce over the peppers and sometimes I top with some mozzarella or grated cheese (that is optional).
Bake for one-2 hours depending on how soft you like your peppers. I cover with foil for the beginning portion. Check them every 15 minutes or so and baste….